eXtension’s professional development opportunities are open to all Cooperative Extension faculty and staff. We’ll be offering a variety of “30 Minute Sessions” of interest to any and all, and a special guest session for the IT Professionals in Extension.
“30 Minute Sessions” – Give us 30 minutes and we’ll teach you something useful! These sessions will be held via Breeze at http://breeze.extension.iastate.edu/learn. Plan to join the session 5 minutes before it starts — 2:00 PM Eastern Time, 1:00 Central, 12:00 Mountain, 11:00 AM Pacific.
* On Wednesday, August 2nd at 2:00 PM Eastern Time, we’re offering a “Thirty-Minute Session” Basic Wiki Orientation — navigation. searching, user pages, categories, history. entering text, editing, talk pages.
* On Wednesday and Thursday, August 9th and 10th at 2:00 PM Eastern Time, “Thirty-Minute Sessions” Categories in the Wiki.
* On Tuesday, August 22nd at 2:00 PM Eastern Time, a “Thirty-Minute Session” Wiki Bare Essentials.
* On Tuesday, August 29th at 2:00 PM Eastern Time, a “Thirty-Minute Session” FAQ Orientation.
* On Thursday, August 31st at 2:00 PM Eastern Time, a “Thirty-Minute Session” Need a Place to Wiki? Come to Collaborate!
On August 23 at 12:00 Noon Eastern Time (11AM Central, 10AM Mountain, 9AM Pacific), we’ll have a guest speaker targeted to our extension IT staff. Sam Ruby will present on Atom for Syndication.
Sam Ruby is a prominent software developer who has made significant contributions to many of the Apache Software Foundation’s open source projects, and to the standardization of web feeds via his involvement with the Atom web feed standard and the popular Feed Validator web service.
He currently holds a Senior Technical Staff Member position in the Emerging Technologies Group of IBM. He resides in Raleigh, North Carolina. Find out more at his site on Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Ruby, or read his blog at http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/.
To participate in a session…
1. Five minutes before the start time, go to the Breeze meeting room at http://breeze.extension.iastate.edu/learn.
2. You will be presented with a login screen that has an “Enter as Guest” option. Select that option and click your mouse on the “Click to Enter” button.
3. Enter your first name, your last name, and your institution/university, then click the “Enter” button to join the conference.
4. To hear the audio of the workshop and participate in the Q&A portion of the workshop we will be using a built-in teleconferencing capability of Macromedia’s Breeze conferencing software. Once you login into the meeting you will be presented with the option to enter your call-back phone number. After entering your number you will be automatically called and joined into the audio portion of the Web conference.
If you or a colleague would like to get notices about upcoming professional development sessions offered by eXtension, go to https://lists.extension.org/mailman/listinfo/learn and subscribe to the “Learn” email list.
Join us on for one or more of these sessions in August!!