An article in Science Daily states that, Establishing Trust Online Is Critical For Online Communication there conclusions were reported in a paper “Swift Trust in Virtual Teams”.
The authors, Starr Roxanne Hiltz and Naomi Rotter, argue that virtual team leaders and on-line teachers need to overcome the potential coldness of the electronic medium and suggest a number of tactics for building “Swift Trust” including:
- Creating the sense that the leader is present even though they can’t be seen.
- Establishing on-line dialogue early and quickly.
- Swiftly and constructively replying to all new users comments and issues.
- Recognising that the impression gained by users in the first week will have a major influence on future use.
- Using private emails rather than public forums to scold users who are struggling.
- These are useful techniques for virtual coaches and virtual team leaders seeking to create more effective virtually networked teams.