eXtension’s professional development opportunities are open to all Cooperative Extension faculty, staff and employees. Please share this announcement with others and encourage them to pick a topic and try it out!
SPECIAL GUEST PRESENTATION
On April 24 from 3:00 – 4:30 Eastern Time (2:00p CT, 1:00p MT, 12:00p PT, 9:00a HT) we are excited to have special guest Beth Kanter present “Ten Steps to Web 2.0”. Web 2.0 refers to a second generation of Web-based services—such as social networking sites, wikis, communication tools, and folksonomies—that emphasize online collaboration and sharing among users. Come learn with us!
Beth Kanter is an experienced coach to “digital immigrants” in the personal mastery of using new web tools (blogging, tagging, wikis, photo sharing, video blogging, screencasting, social networking sites, and virtual worlds, etc). Her work primarily deals with educational technology and working in communities. Many of the things she writes and presents about fit closely with Extension. You can learn more about Beth Kanter at http://www.bethkanter.org and read her blog at http://beth.typepad.com.
Please mark your calendar now to attend “Ten Steps to Web 2.0” via Adobe Connect (formerly Breeze) at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn and with your telephone. Join the session 5-10 minutes before the starting time at 3:00 Eastern Time (2:00p CT, 1:00p MT, 12:00p PT, 9:00a HT) (for all Extension).
30 MINUTE SESSIONS
This month we are offering “30 Minute Sessions” on some new things: widgets, browser configurations, as well as repeated topics on using feeds (Feeding Frenzy) and templates for images in the CoP wiki (Finishing Touches). Give us 30 minutes and we’ll teach you something useful! These sessions will be held via Adobe Connect (formerly Breeze) at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn and your telephone. Plan to join the session 5 minutes before the starting time. Each session will be held at 3:30 Eastern Time (2:30p CT, 1:30p MT, 12:30p PT, 9:30a HT) unless otherwise noted.
* On Thursday, April 5, a “30 Minute Session” called Feeding Frenzy – an introduction to Feeds and Web syndication. Feeds are everywhere today. Even eXtension is syndicating everything. So what are these things? How do they work? And most importantly, how can you use them to save yourself a ton of time. Come to the Feeding Frenzy session to learn how you can start using feeds and change your life forever. Participants will be introduced to Google Reader and it’s use for managing syndication feeds. (for all Extension)
* On Wednesday, April 11, a “30 Minute Session” on Getting Started With Widgets. “Widgets,” are tiny applications that allow you to stream information to your own personalized web page. They are a central part of the deportilzation of the Web, and will most definitely be a part of your online future. This session will show you what widgets are, demonstrate some handy examples of widgets in action, and introduce you to creating your own personalized widget Web page using Netvibes. By the end of the 30 minute session you will be ready to create your own personalized page, and will be ready to begin experiencing the “come to me Web.” (for all Extension)
Then on Wednesday, April 18, we’ll have a follow-up Widget session to allow participants who added Widgets to their Netvibes or other web page to share their experiences. This session will be open sharing of what worked for you and discussion of implications for extension program delivery and knowledge acquisition… how this changes the way information is consumed. (for all Extension)
* On Tuesday, April 17, a “30 Minute Session” on optimal configuration and use of your Web browser with eXtension applications. This session will include spell checking (for all Extension).
* On Wednesday, April 25, a “30 Minute Session” Finishing Touches – using templates for final stylistic touches of images in the CoP wiki (for those working in the CoP wiki).
To participate in any of the 30 Minute sessions…
1. Five minutes before the start time, go to the Adobe Connect (formerly Breeze) meeting room at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn .
2. You will be presented with a login screen that has an “Enter as Guest” option.
3. Enter your first name, your last name, and your institution/university, then click the “Enter Room” button to join the conference.
4. To hear the audio of the workshop and participate in the Q&A portion of the workshop we will be using a built-in teleconferencing capability of Macromedia’s Breeze conferencing software to call your telephone. Once you log into the meeting you will be presented with the option to enter your call-back number, your phone will automatically be called. After entering your number you will be automatically called and joined into the audio portion of the Web conference on your phone.
If you or a colleague would like to get notices about upcoming professional development sessions offered by eXtension, go to https://lists.extension.org/mailman/listinfo/learn” and subscribe to the “Learn” email list.
Recordings of past professional development sessions can be found at the main eXtension wiki at http://about.eXtension.org and search on Recordings.
Add these dates & topics to your calendar, and plan to join us on for one or more of these sessions in April!!