Professional development opportunities offered by the National eXtension Initiative are open to all Cooperative Extension faculty, staff and employees. Please share this announcement with others and encourage them to pick a topic and try it out!
30 MINUTE SESSIONS
This month we are offering a “30 Minute Sessions” on something new:
Presence technologies, as well as repeated topics on Mediawiki Bare Essentials and Blogging. Give us 30 minutes and we’ll teach you something useful! These sessions will be held via web conferencing at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn and your telephone. Plan to join the session 5 minutes before the starting time. Each session will be held at 3:30 Eastern Time (2:30p CT, 1:30p MT, 12:30p PT, 9:30a HT) unless otherwise noted.
* On June 5, a “30 Minute Session” on Mediawiki Bare Essentials – what you need to get started working in either the CoP or Collaborate wiki (for all Extension).
* On June 7, a “30 Minute Session” on Presence Technologies – with an emphasis on chat away-messages and Twitter. Working with a distributed work team presents unique challenges. Shared calendars don’t work when you use different systems that don’t inter-operate. This session will focus on non-intrusive methods to keep your colleagues informed of your status (presence). Learn how new light-weight Web 2.0 tools are being used to inform others of your availability (for all Extension).
* On June 21, a “30 Minute Session” on Blogging – So you think you want to be a blogger? How you can use blogging to enhance your educational programming. What’s involved, how it’s done, how to get started, and an introduction to the basic technologies. Participants will be exposed to several blogging tools with an emphasis on Blogger.com, Google’s newly revamped blog hosting site (for all Extension).
Add these dates & topics to your calendar, and plan to join us on for one or more of these sessions in June!!
TO PARTICIPATE in any of the 30 Minute sessions…
1. Five minutes before the start time, go to the Breeze meeting room at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn.
2. You will be presented with a login screen that has an “Enter as Guest” option.
3. Enter your first name, your last name, and your institution/university, then click the “Enter Room” button to join the conference.
4. To hear the audio of the workshop and participate in the Q&A portion of the workshop we will be using a built-in teleconferencing capability of Adobe’s Connect Pro conferencing software. Once you log into the meeting you will be presented with the option to enter your call-back number, your phone will automatically be called. After entering your number you will be automatically called and joined into the audio portion of the Web conference on your phone.
If you or a colleague would like to get notices about upcoming professional development sessions offered by eXtension, go to https://lists.extension.org/mailman/listinfo/learn and subscribe to the “Learn” email list.
Recordings of many past professional development sessions can be found at the main eXtension wiki at http://about.eXtension.org/wiki and search on Recordings, or scroll
down under Professional Development heading and find “Recordings of eXtension Professional Development Sessions”.
Looking forward to having you join us to learn something new!