eXtension’s professional development opportunities are open to all Cooperative Extension faculty, staff and employees. No pre-registration. Please share this announcement with others and encourage them to pick a topic and try it out!
30 MINUTE SESSIONS
This month we are offering “30 Minute Sessions” on some new topics such as Open ID, user-centric design, Facebook, and Google Custom Search Engine. Give us 30 minutes and we’ll teach you something useful! These sessions will be held via web conferencing at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn and your telephone. Plan to join the session 5 minutes before the starting time. Each session will be held at 3:00 Eastern Time (2:00p CT, 1:00p MT, 12:00n PT, 9:00a HT) unless otherwise noted.
* Aug 15 at 3:00 ET, Jason Young with an Introduction to OpenID
More and more websites that require the site users to sign in with a username and password are taking advantage of an open protocol for authentication called ‘OpenID.’ eXtension is converting all of its web applications over to OpenID. In this session, we’ll briefly touch on what OpenID is, and how eXtension is using it. But we also want to know what YOU want answered in an “Introduction to OpenID.” Help us build the outline for the session by adding to the discussion at: http://collaborate.extension.org/wiki/Introduction_to_OpenID.
* Aug 21 at 3:00 ET, Ben MacNeill on Creating Web Applications with User-Centric Design
The barriers to building web applications have never been lower. Individuals and small teams can create, deploy and test a web application in as little as a few months, weeks or even days. This iterative process gives designers and developers a chance introduce small changes over time and constantly refine the end product. This is a look at web application development from a design and user interface point-of-view.
* Aug 22 at 3:00 ET, Ray Kimsey with About FaceBook
Now you can have a Facebook account too! What used to be open only to students has been opened to everyone. Find out what Facebook is all about and learn how it took over the college campus. Is this the social networking utility for you? This is an introductory look at Facebook, its networks, groups, event calendars and how they can be used by Extension professionals.
* Aug 23, at 3:00 ET, Kevin Gamble on CES Google CSE (custom search engine).
This session will show you how simple it is to use Google search technology to create a free Custom Search Engine that reflects your knowledge and interests. It will also show you the Cooperative Extension CSE, teach you how to place a custom widget on your own site, and show how you can participate in a collaborative environment to further customize and make it better.
Add these dates and topics to your calendar, and plan to join us on for one or more of these sessions in August!!
TO PARTICIPATE in any of the 30 Minute sessions…
1. Five minutes before the start time, go to the Web conferencing center (previously known as Breeze) meeting room at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn.
2. You will be presented with a login screen that has an “Enter as Guest” option.
3. Enter your first name, your last name, and your institution/university, then click the “Enter Room” button to join the conference.
4. To hear the audio of the workshop and participate in the Q&A portion of the workshop we will be using a built-in teleconferencing capability of Adobe’s Connect Pro conferencing software. Once you log into the meeting you will be presented with the option to enter your call-back number, your phone will automatically be called. After entering your number you will be automatically called and joined into the audio portion of the Web conference on your phone.
If you or a colleague would like to get notices about upcoming professional development sessions offered by eXtension, go to https://lists.extension.org/mailman/listinfo/learn and subscribe to the “Learn” email list.
Recordings of many past professional development sessions can be found at the main eXtension wiki at http://about.eXtension.org/wiki and search on Recordings, or scroll down under Professional Development heading and find “Recordings of eXtension Professional Development Sessions”, or search on the word Recording.
Looking forward to having you join us to learn something new in August!!