eXtension’s professional development opportunities are open to all Cooperative Extension faculty, staff and employees. No pre-registration is required. Please share this announcement with others and encourage them to pick a topic and try it out!
This month we are offering 30-Minute Sessions on a several topics including sessions to help you work in Second Life, eXtension Data APIs, HTML5 and how to (can you?) pick a Creative Commons license. Give us 30 minutes and we’ll teach you something useful! These sessions will be held at our Web Conferencing Center at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn. Plan to join the session 5 minutes before the starting time. Each session will be held at 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time (1:00 p.m. CT, 12:00 Noon MT, 11:00 a.m. PT, 10:00 a.m. AT; 8:00 a.m. HT) unless otherwise noted.
* Thursday, June 10, at 2:00 p.m. ET, a 30-minute session on Second Life for Newbies, by LuAnn Phillips. Highlights and sharing of resources from the recent CoP sessions “Second Life for Newbies.” If you could not be there in Austin for the hands-on sessions, come for this quick rundown of what you need to know, some ways to approach self-orientation, and resources to get you started. (For all Extension)
* Thursday, June 17, at 2:00 p.m. ET, a 30-minute session on eXtension’s Data APIs, by Jason Young, eXtension. One of the goals for the eXtension Engineering Team is to make as much of our data and information programmatically available to our peers as we can. Come and learn what Data APIs are available from eXtension and how you can use them in your own applications to get data from www.extension.org
* Wednesday, June 23, at 2:00 p.m. ET, a 30-minute session on HTML5 vs. XHTML 2, by Ben MacNeill, eXtension. HTML5 has recently become the dominant spec for future web development. Come learn about the history of HTML5 and XHTML 2, and the new features in HTML5 that you can start using now. (For developers and designers)
* Thursday, June 24, at 2:00 p.m. ET, a 30-minute session, “Jazz up your next professional development meeting with a live presentation from Second Life!” by LuAnn Phillips, eXtension’s Virtual Worlds Coordinator. Are you a lone SL user in a sea of skeptics? Fear not! Schedule a live tour of the Morrill sims for your next PD or association meeting and turn skeptics into believers. All you need is your laptop, a projector, powered speakers, and an Internet connection that will run SL. Sessions can be whatever length of time you need. In this session you will learn how to promote, set up, and facilitate a presentation. (For all Extension)
* Wednesday, June 30 at 2:00 p.m. ET, a 30-minute session on Understanding Creative Commons Licensing by Kevin Gamble, eXtension. Almost everyone has heard of the Creative Commons, and their unique approach to copyright. What people don’t realize is that there are actually six different Creative Commons licenses that content creators can choose from, each having their own unique permissions. This session will discuss what content licensed with Creative Commons you would be free to use in your Extension and eXtension content. HINT: It’s far less than you might realize. We will also discuss your Creative Commons choices for licensing your own content. HINT: You probably aren’t allowed to use any of the Creative Commons licenses with your Extension content under your current terms of employment. (For all Extension)
Longer sessions, these sessions will also be held at our Web Conferencing Center at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn. Plan to join the session 5 minutes before the starting time. Each session will begin at 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time (1:00 p.m. CT, Noon MT, 11:00 a.m. PT, 10:00 a.m. AT; 8:00 a.m. HT).
* Tuesday, June 22 at 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET, Beginning with the Ask an Expert Widget by Aaron Hundley and Ask an Expert Discussion Double Header by Aaron Hundley and Beth Raney. Learn the basics of the Ask an Expert System with Widgets and stick around for the AaE Discussion for current participants of the AaE system. How to use the Ask eXtension widget to receive and answer questions directly from your county Extension web site or Extension-related blog. This widget adds question-asking capabilities to your site, but uses the power of the eXtension Ask an Expert and FAQ systems to assist you in answering. Take questions from your clients, and use the 40,000 questions in the FAQ system to assist you in providing a timely and accurate answer. This session will introduce you to the Ask an Expert system, the Ask an Expert widget, show you the latest features developed, and will discuss what is necessary to begin using it immediately in your own county sites and blogs with helpful tips. Then we will have a conversation to discuss current implementations and ideas for the AaE system with those who have been working in the AaE system. (For all Extension)
* Tuesday, June 29 at 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET, Question Wrangler Monthly Meetup with Beth Raney and Kevin Gamble, eXtension. As each state identifies Question Wranglers to help with questions submitted via Ask an Expert by the public at www.extension.org, we’ll hold this session to help you get familiar with your role, the tools available to make it easier, and share experiences & tips. (For eXtension Question Wranglers)
Second Life is an immersive 3-D virtual environment, inhabited by over a million users, and used by educators all over the world to teach a wide variety of topics in an engaging and innovative way. You can also use Second Life to have meetings and events, create 3-D models or scenarios that would be too expensive or impossible to make in reality, make educational videos, and network with thousands of colleagues in the education community. In Second Life, you will find that eXtension has a virtual fairground, a model county office, and projects on assistive technology, turf grass, food safety, pest management, and space for you to develop your own projects. In Teen Second Life, we have Bailey Island available for any 4-H educator to use for programming. LuAnn Phillips, Second Life educator, is available to assist you, and can be reached at email@example.com or by instant message to Thynka Little in Second Life. Instructions for entering Second Life are here:
http://collaborate.extension.org/wiki/Cooperative_Extension_Second_Life_Educators Please also consider joining the Facebook group “Cooperative Extension
June Second Life Events:
* June 10- 2:00-2:30 p.m. ET, in Adobe Connect at
http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn, Second Life for Newbies:
Highlights and sharing of resources from recent hands-on workshops
* June 11- 2:00-3:30 p.m. Second Life Meetup: In-world practice for new
users, mentors are welcome to assist. Meet at the Virtual County
* June 24- 2:00-2:30 p.m. ET, in Adobe Connect at
http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn, Jazz up your next
professional development meeting with a live presentation from Second
Add these dates & topics to your calendar, and plan to join us on for
one or more of these sessions in June!!
TO PARTICIPATE in any of the sessions held in our Web Conferencing Center…
1. Five minutes before the start time, go to our Web Conferencing
Center meeting room at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn.
2. You will be presented with a login screen that has an “Enter as
3. Enter your first name; your last name, and your
institution/university, then click the “Enter Room” button to join the
4. To hear the audio of the workshop and participate in the Q&A portion of the workshop we will be using a built-in teleconferencing capability of Adobe’s Connect Pro conferencing software. Once you log into the meeting you will be presented with the option to enter your callback number, your phone will automatically be called. After entering your number you will be automatically called and joined into the audio portion of the Web conference on your phone.
If you or a colleague would like to get notices about upcoming professional development sessions offered by eXtension, go to
https://people.extension.org/communities/learn and Click “Join Community.”
Recordings of many past professional development sessions can be found
at the main eXtension wiki at http://about.eXtension.org/wiki and
scroll down under Professional Development heading and find “Recordings of eXtension Professional Development Sessions”, or search on the word Recordings.
Looking forward to having you join us to learn something new in June!!