Social media has become part of the way we do business in Cooperative Extension and eXtension has helped lead the way to broadening our reach and engagement through social media. In 2011, CoPs reported overall social media contacts of more than 3 million (Facebook likes, Twitter followers, YouTube views, etc). Preliminary data from 2012 indicates large growth in social media reach and engagement by eXtension and our CoPs.
Reach metrics tell us how many people we are touching. This is an important gauge of overall exposure.
• YouTube Views: Total number of times videos on YouTube have been viewed
• YouTube Likes: Total number of people who have clicked “like” on a YouTube Video
• Twitter Followers: Total number of people following all reported Twitter accounts
• Facebook Likes: Total number of people who have “liked” one of our Facebook pages
Engagement metrics tell us more about how many people we are interacting with and responding to our outreach.
• Facebook Total Reach: The number of unique people who have seen any content associated with one of the reported pages.
• Facebook Engaged Users: The number of unique users who engage with one of the reported pages through clicking on a post or story or creating a story.
• Facebook People Talking About This: The number of unique people who have created a story about one of the reported pages. This includes liking a page, posting to a wall, commenting or sharing a story.
• Facebook Number of Stories Created: The number of stories created about one of the reported pages. Different from people talking about this because it may include one user creating several stories.