The 2014 eXtension Conference/National Extension Directors and Administrators joint meeting became a truly international event this year.
A group from Australia attended the conference because of a new and important collaboration with eXtension involving the development of Australian learning networks in crop diseases, crop nutrition, and knowledge management. The group included representatives from the Department of Environment and Primary Services–Victoria; the Department of Primary Industries-New South Wales; and the Grains Research and Development Corporation of Australia.
They came to learn all they could about eXtension in hopes of developing learning networks as part of Australia’s National Research, Development and Extension Framework. Many in the group presented breakout sessions that further detailed their efforts and plans.
The group included:
Department of Environment & Primary Industries – Victoria
• Kieran Murphy, Service Innovation Manager, Farm Services, Agriculture Group
• Richard Vines, Knowledge Management Specialist, Farm Services Victoria
• Katherine Hollaway, Editor – Victorian Winter Crop Summary, Coordinator – Field Crop Diseases Learning Network – extension-AUS, Grains Branch – Farm Services Victoria
Grains Research & Development Corporation
• Kyle Thoms, Senior Manager Products & Services
• Gavin Beever, ORM, Pty Ltd, Managing Consultant
New South Wales Department of Primary Industries
• Julie White, Team Leader, e-Extension and Publications, NSW-DPI
• Luke Beange, Soils Development Officer, NSW-DPI
Conference attendees also welcomed Barb Shackel-Hardman, Head of the Ag Industry Extension and Training Branch of Alberta Canada’s Agriculture and Rural Development.
Following the conference the international contingent saw many states in the US and ended their visit in Washington DC.