Christine Geith PhD began her service to Cooperative Extension as the Chief Executive Officer for the eXtension Foundation on July 1, 2015.
“I’ve already seen the support of our member institutions; the commitment of the eXtension Board; the talent and energy of the eXtension team and the great interest from CES faculty and staff across the country. Together, we can successfully move eXtension forward with the new eXtension Strategic Framework.”, said Geith.
Chris and the eXtension team are moving rapidly to bring this new phase of eXtension to benefit the Foundation’s members. As a reminder, three eXtension Fellows for 2015 were named:
- Paul Hill, Utah State University, Makers
- Katie Stofer, University of Florida, Citizen Science
- Jeff Hino, Oregon State University, Internet of Things
The recent call for proposals for Innovation Funds garnered 49 submissions and eXtension funded nine exciting projects to be completed in 2016:
- Adaptive Learning, Ellen Darnall, Michigan State University
- Spatial Reasoning, Shane Bradt, University of New Hampshire
- Augmented Reality, Heather Wallace & Emily Tipton, University of Tennessee
- Geo-Citizens Design, John Munsell, Virginia Tech
- Virtual Environments/Oculus Rift, Joey Peutz, University of Idaho
- Citizen Science/Mobile App, Heidi Rader, University of Alaska
- NeXT Talks, Chrystal Checketts, Texas A&M Agrilife Extension
- Spark Lab Innovation Center, Mark Light, Ohio State University
- Virtual Communication Camp, Becky Koch & Bob Bertsch, North Dakota State University
“During the next year, we will routinely share the outstanding work of these new ‘innovation partners’ as well as our other learning networks and communities. We are also lifting up and showcasing local innovation in our Community Innovation Quest. We are seeking ideas, programs, and projects that you feel demonstrate doing extension differently in your state. These stories will be collected via video and shared at events throughout the year. There is much more to come,” she said.
“As we begin this new journey together, I invite you to let me know how we’re doing and especially what more we can do to make your eXtension membership count,” said Geith.