Communications and Engagement Manager
eXtension and NPSEC Partnership
Communication and engagement with the Cooperative Extension Service and other eXtension partners across the nation is critical to eXtension viability and future. It is imperative the eXtension stay in touch with the people eXtension serves. eXtension is known for cutting-edge technological leadership over the past several years and now for our Impact Collaborative that is supported by innovation, collaboration, and evaluation. The Impact Collaborative is creating measurable and visible impact at the local level through various strategies, to include Designathons One and Two.
Strategic engagement efforts and marketing are critical to the continued success of eXtension for programming, messaging, marketing, development of appropriate products, as well as continuing to keep the website up to date with information on the opportunities within eXtension. eXtension will work collaboratively with NPSEC (National Pesticide Safety Education Center) in the support and guidance of this position. NPSEC has similar needs for efforts from this position in the areas of strategic messaging, targeted communications, including on social media, marketing, and website maintenance.
The Communications and Engagement Manager will lead in the following areas for both eXtension and NPSEC:
- Strategic Messaging
- Marketing for Program Sharing, Fundraising, and Revenue Generating
- Social Media
- Website Management
- Engagement with the Impact Collaborative to develop and sustain a supportive of innovative, engaged extension professionals
- Graphics and Communications
- Effective Communication and Engagement Strategies
Pesticide Safety Education Programs, State Lead Agencies, Federal Government and others to be identified
ECOP (Extension Committee on Policy); NEDA (National Extension Directors Association), USDA (United States Department of Agriculture), State Extension Directors, Regional Extension Directors, some funders, and others to be identified.
- Bacherlor’s degree in journalism or communications. Master’s preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of communications strategies, marketing packages and reach and ability to write with clarity in a fast-changing environment.
- Knowledge of or experience in the Cooperative Extension, the audiences they serve and how this higher educational process works.
- Knowledge of communication systems, including experience with graphics, social media, written media, fliers, brochures and ability to create communication pieces that convey the messages with clarity.
- Knowledge and experience with managing networks and engaging them in co-creative efforts.
- Personal computer skills required.
- Experience in effectively working with and managing several projects at once and working with a virtual team across the country.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
- Develop communications and marketing strategy and tactics with leadership team
- Implement the communication and marketing strategy, tactics, objectives and plans.
- Develop graphics and communications pieces to highlight the Impact Collaborative and eXtension
- Work with all facets of eXtension and NPSEC to develop marketing pieces and develop strategies for social media
- Provide proactive communications and recommendations to solve communication needs as they arise
- Write and produce documents for the eXtension membership campaign, eXtension Board, and NPSEC
- Review, strategize and implement a social media plan for increased communications and marketing for both eXtension and NPSEC
- Keep an updated database of new Extension Directors/Administrators for eXtension and state/territory/tribal Pesticide Safety Education extension staff for NPSEC
- Keeps subscriber lists up to date
- Writes posts/emails, a monthly “round-up” about the highlights of activities connected with eXtension and weekly ECOP Monday Minute items to distribute to the ECOP Executive Director.
- Ensures that posts about upcoming events (webinars, online courses, etc.) and professional development hosted by eXtension. Will require writing.
- Update the content on the eXtension and NPSEC websites, including authoring new content, and creating new navigation as needed for both eXtension and NPSEC.
- Review google analytics and take steps to optimize the user experience.
- Work with the evaluation team to identify key data and successes for sharing on the website, written communications, and slide decks.
- When practical, travel to eXtension and NPSEC face to face events and obtain photos, video, interviews, and other material needed to support communication and impact reporting and make sure others are capturing appropriate content as needed.
- Provide leadership for developing a shared message and voice among eXtension staff and leadership team relative to programs, processes, and initiatives of the foundation
- Author messaging for member institutions and keep them informed of the accomplishments of their faculty/staff relative to eXtension programs.
This is a 1.0 FTE contracted position or University buy-out with .7 funded by eXtension and .3 funded by NPSEC. This position will be for one year, with a possible renewal for an additional year with satisfactory work and appropriate funding. This is not an employee position. The position reports to the eXtension Chief Operating Officer and National Pesticide Safety Education Center Executive Director.
First round application review will be March 1, 2018. The position will be advertised until the position is filled.
How to Apply
Please send your letter of interest and your resume to email@example.com by March 1 for first round reviews. For more information on the position contact:
Dr. Beverly Coberly
Chief Operation Officer
National Pesticide Safety Education Center (NPSEC)