eXtension Seeks Accounting Assistant
eXtension Foundation, Accounting Assistant
Target start date: December 2, 2019
Hours: 30 hours/week (Monday-Friday coverage), non-exempt, benefits-eligible. 100% remote.
Target pay: $20-$23/hour based on experience
The eXtension Foundation is a membership-based non-profit designed to be the engine fueling U.S. Cooperative Extension’s advancement in making a more visible and measurable impact in support of education outreach from land-grant universities/colleges located in every state and territory. eXtension provides an array of opportunities for Extension professionals that foster innovation creation, the adoption of innovations at member institutions, and increased impact of Extension programs.
The eXtension Foundation is seeking an individual to assist with accounts payable and receivable, account review and reconciliation, financial reporting, and other business functions. The Accounting Assistant will work closely with the Chief Financial Officer and the eXtension senior leadership team. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
To learn more about eXtension Foundation, visit https://impact.extension.org/ .
- A/P: Review vendor invoices per contractual terms, determine account coding, submit to Bookkeeper for payment.
- A/R: Prepare periodic billings for services performed along with supporting detail.
- Account review and reconciliation: Based on periodic transactional reports (e.g., monthly, quarterly) generated from the accounting system, review various account postings for coding integrity and appropriateness, coordinating with CFO as necessary. Submit corrections to third-party bookkeeper.
- Financial reporting: Review periodic financial statements and variance reports (e.g., monthly, quarterly) in coordination with CFO.
- Travel: Review and approve expense reports submitted through the travel system.
- Credit Card: Gather receipts and documentation in support of monthly statement transactions.
- Business account maintenance: Maintain business account matrix, including billing details.
- Government registrations: Assist with maintaining various Federal and state registrations.
- Budgets and cost proposals: Assist CFO with sponsored award budget preparation and reviews.
- Compliance: Assist CFO with Federal sub-recipient single-audit compliance reviews.
- Effort Reporting: Assist with quarterly sponsored award effort reporting.
- Purchasing: Occasionally purchase supplies on behalf of eXtension staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Required: Associate’s degree in Accounting or Finance + three years accounting experience OR Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance + one-year accounting experience
- Required: Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), prior payables or receivables experience
- Required: Microsoft Excel proficiency
- Preferred: Non-profit/fund accounting experience
- Preferred: QuickBooks experience
- Preferred: Experience with online collaborative tools, e.g., Google Docs and Google Sheets
- Strong analytical, diagnostic, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Personable and professional demeanor
- Ability to work daytime Eastern Zone hours
Remote work requirements (taxable allowance offered toward meeting these needs):
- PC: Capable of running Windows 10 or macOS Sierra (Windows emulation software for Mac also required)
- Apps: Microsoft Office (2016 or newer) desktop applications. (Google G Suite and QuickBooks will be provided)
- Connectivity: Broadband internet connection able to support 480p live video
- 480P (or better) webcam
Application deadline: Applications received by Friday, 11/15, will receive full consideration
To apply for this position please submit the following information to Brenna Kotar, Assistant to the CEO, eXtension Foundation, firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references, including email and phone number contact