eXtension is a membership-based non-profit designed to fuel Cooperative Extension’s growth, leadership, competencies, entrepreneurship, and stewardship for innovation and technology supporting Cooperative Education professionals. Cooperative Extension is a national system of educational outreach from land-grant universities/colleges located in every U.S. state and the territories. eXtension generates value for its members and partners offering professional growth and learning and fostering innovation at member institutions.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Operating Officer (COO) has overall strategic and operational responsibility for eXtension Foundation programs and services and manages key staff leaders. The COO fosters a deep sense of purpose, ambitious performance goals, and mutual accountability. The COO provides leadership for the Foundation’s strategic planning process and implements strategic initiatives. In addition, the COO serves on the Executive Team (CEO, CFO and COO), is a liaison to eXtension Foundation partners; and works with the eXtension Board of Directors to keep them abreast, with key staff leaders, of program and service strategies and challenges. The COO is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the operational aspects of the annual budget. Finally, with the Executive team, the COO cultivates existing relationships with public and private funders and eXtension Foundation members.
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership by being actively involved in all programs and services, developing a broad and deep knowledge of all operations.
- Identify opportunities for eXtension to leverage strengths to take advantage of new opportunities.
- Work with the CFO to ensure the continued financial viability of eXtension through sound fiscal management, working closely with the Executive Team.
- Ensure that eXtension has appropriate operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, staffing structure and technologies to effectively support innovation, strengthen and grow the Foundation’s services and membership benefits, and ensure operating efficiency.
- Lead and manage staffing and talent development.
- Provide leadership to achieve successful projects, staff, and work teams.
- Lead the Foundation to define, achieve and surpass quality standards and report on effectiveness.
- Publicly represent eXtension with the media and external constituency groups including community, governmental, and private organizations and build excitement for eXtension and Cooperative Extension’s mission.
Strategic Plan Implementation:
- Provide program and service leadership and input for strategic plan implementation processes with Executive team and staff.
- Coach key staff as they implement the strategic plan and transition program operations.
- Develop and implement a system for tracking and reporting on the progress of the strategic plan implementation.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree.
- 7+ years documented experience managing professionals, fostering innovation, creativity, management, entrepreneurship, and/or generating profits and value.
- 7+ years demonstrated ability leading change, forward thinking, and building high functioning teams.
- 7+ years demonstrated ability leading and implementing technology solutions in support of the work of Extension professionals, faculty, researchers or professionals in similar roles.
- Working knowledge of Cooperative Extension required.
- Experience managing a sustainable organization using multiple funding streams preferred.
- Consistently displays integrity and models behavior that develops people, builds teams, and facilitates collaborative enterprises.
- Track record of effectively leading a service organization with the ability to leverage strengths across program areas; excellent project management skills.
- Analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to point to specific examples of having led organizational transformation projects and program development.
- Past experience managing human resources function including personnel, compensation, and recruiting.
- Commitment to quality programs and services and data-driven evaluation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and innovative approach to operational management.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Experience working virtually is a plus because eXtension operates as a virtual organization.
Half-time, beginning immediately. Salary commensurate with experience.
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants should submit the following documents in PDF Format via email to Jamie Mosca at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV, with salary history
- 3 Professional References
Cover letter may be addressed to:
Dr. Christine Geith, CEO
183 S. W. Davidson Drive, Suite A
Centreville, AL 35042
June 1, 2016
Only qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews. The eXtension Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.